Our Home, right in your inbox

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Working for the Weekend

Hiking with Sadie to Sunfish Pond
Sooooo- we were gonna start the bathroom demo but life happened! I went for a hike with my family and puppies yesterday morning. 8 miles later and I was totally wiped when I got home. 

While I was off galavanting in NJ, James picked up lots of goodies from Lowes and finished our dresser. The hardware looks amazing!
I started destressing the corner of this draw
Oil rubbed bronze =)
We finally got the 1/4 round and reducers. It was $25 cheaper to buy 12 foot long pieces than 8 foot. We got the 12 and just cut it down! They are yet to be installed because we need to install a Dexter style drop-cloth situation to avoid getting dust on everything

1 pint = $22

On Sunday, we drove an hour to pick up General Finishes Gel Stain in Java. It should take three coats to get a nice deep color but still show the grain. Apparently this stuff is made of miracles because it doesn't drip, you don't need very much, and most people have success without even sanding first! 

James is cleaning the sink, I have the best husband! 

James and our good friend JD took all the cabinet doors off. They numbered each one with painters tape so we easily knew where to re-install. Our cabinets were still covered in a greasy residue even after cleaning them multiple times. 

With the doors off the cabinets it was much easier to clean. We used Ajax cleaner with bleach and a Brillo pad. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you aren't painting or staining. I can easily see the places where I scrubbed too hard. The bleach made the coloring lighter. But it worked like a charm on de-greasing. This was all James' idea! 

Next I scrubbed LOTS of grease off the hinges  And then soaked them in hot water and dish soap. Not my best idea. They are now a little green, even after hand drying and using a hair dryer. I am going to try some baking soda and a steel wool pad. Updates to follow. Maybe we will be spending $30 on new hardware.

Tonight I will be the master of the sander! 


  1. Hardware can add up. You may want to get a can of spray paint to go over the hardware. (Make sure it is for use on metal, and check if it needs a primer.)

  2. I was able to use Brillo pads to fix those hinges =)

    If Brillo didn't work for you or if you have a bigger problem than some rust, I did find some great steals on ebay and craigslist. $30 - $50 for 30 oil bronzed hinges isn't too shabby at all.

    While I love spray paint, spray painting hinges would work if I took apart each hinge to paint each piece (screws included)individually. Sounds like a can of worms I don't want to open just yet =)