Wednesday, October 17, 2012

New Cabinets!

Old kitchen cabinets 
Since we put the bathroom on hold (only two more weeks!) of course I needed to start another project. In my previous post I wrote about preparing the cabinets for the gel stain. I have read and been told they you must sand before staining. I've also read that lots of people didn't sand when using this project. I only sanded some latex paint drips off the cabinets. I figured because the cabinets are builder grade oak and we really did a number on cleaning them that I would take the chance.

1. Mix the gel stain. Very well.
2. Wear gloves! I used a Brillo pad to get the stain off my hands and I still have some around my nail bed.
3. If you use foam brushes like I did, buy more. I used three to apply just one coat and I don't think I'll be able to use them again. (I used three because I used a small and large brush and then James helped and used a brush too.)
4. Use smooth and even strokes in the direction of the grain. If you want a lighter color and entry to see more grain a little can go a long way. If you want a rich deep color, like we do, you can use more and really paint it on.

5.  Paint in sections. I painted the center and the border and then the angled parts last. 
6. It dries fast and you don't want to "touch-up" after the drying process starts. Try and avoid leaving visible marks in your strokes.
7. Give it time to try. We are leaving 24 hours between the first and second coat and 24 hours between the last coat and the polyurethane seal.
8. Painters tape can be your best friend when you start painting the cabinet frames.



Painting in sections
Just one coat! 

Update on the hinges; Brillo pads were the cure! No more green spots!

I can't wait to finish these cabinets! 


No comments:

Post a Comment